Jeff Germanotta's Investment Banking Course (FINA 4081) to be Offered in the Fall and Spring Semesters
In 2015, Marquette’s Applied Investment Management (AIM) program formally announced the creation of a second track – Investment Banking andPrivate Equity.
Dr. David Krause, director of the AIM program, said “We are pleased to add Mr. Jeff Germanotta to our staff. Jeff possesses more than 35 years of experience in investment banking, commercial banking and corporate planning, including extensive experience with commercial services, distribution, industrial and logistics business models. He will teach the investment banking and private equity courses in the Department of Finance.”
This fall – and again in the spring semester – Germanotta will teach FINA 4081: Investment Banking. The course focuses on developing essential skills necessary to succeed in investment banking, private equity and corporate development roles. Additionally, according to Mr. Germanotta, “It’s a course that is beneficial for students pursuing careers in upper middle market and larger corporate banking environments, as they’ll likely engage with such professionals over the course of their careers.”
Through texts, classroom discussion, current events presentations, case study and guest speakers, FINA 4081 provides Marquette finance students the theory, analytical tools and hands on experience to begin careers as analysts engaged in merger and acquisition advisory and debt and equity capital markets services. The course further examines various types of private equity transactions.
Dr. Krause added, “A key element of the learning experience in Jeff’s IB course is the participation of numerous practitioners within the classroom; carrying on the traditional of the AIM program.”
The guests in FINA 4081 include bulge bracket and mid-market investment banks, speciality investment banks, and senior executives who have undergone leveraged and management buyouts. Each of these professionals brings a differing career experience. Their firms also operate in diverse aspects of the financial markets and students learn from the real-world case studies they share. Krause concluded, "Jeff will again be travelling with us to New York City in October when we visit our alumni who work in the investment banking and asset management industry. He's a valuable member of the AIM program and soon you'll hear interesting news about a new Finance Department initiative."
Jeffrey S. Germanotta’s Bio
Adjunct Instructor, AIM Program
Jeffrey S. Germanotta Mr. Germanotta possesses more than 35 years of strategic and financial management experience in private equity, investment banking, commercial banking and corporate planning. His current activities include:
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Adjunct Instructor, teaching investment banking and private equity courses within the Applied Investment Management Program (2015 – present).
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth – Wisconsin Chapter (since 2015).
- Limited Partner and Special Advisor to Greenbrair Equity Group LLC; a New York based private equity firm investing in the global transportation, logistics and distribution industries (2013 – present).
- Limited Partner and member of Supply Chain Equity Partner’s Advisory Board, also Investment and Audit Committees. A Florida-based private equity firm established to invest in lower middlemarket North American supply chain service businesses (2010 – present).
- Opportunity International’s Board of Directors; a leading global not-for-profit microfinance organization headquartered in Chicago, Illinois (involved since 2003). Co-head of the Audit and Finance and Risk Committees. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Opportunity International Colombia S. A.
Prior to his retirement in 2013, Mr. Germanotta was a Principal and Managing Director of William Blair & Company LLC, a Chicago-based global investment-banking firm. While at Blair, Mr. Germanotta was CoHead of the Supply Chain Services practice within the Corporate Finance Department and Co-Group Head for the Equity Research Department’s Business Services and Industrial practice.
As an investment banker, he assisted clients with the formulation and execution of strategic initiatives, including capital raises and M&A activities.
As an equity analyst, Mr. Germanotta was consistently recognized in the Financial Times/StarMine “World’s Top Analysts” rankings.
Mr. Germanotta holds a B.A. in Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and an M.B.A. from Marquette University.