Periodic Table: S&P 500 Sector Performance
This chart provides a detailed look at the S&P 500 Index’s performance over the past decade, broken down by its 10 sectors. This visual presentation of the performance helps point out the dynamic nature of the large cap space and some of the sector trends in performance that have occurred over the past decade.
- Higher growth sectors such as Healthcare, Consumer Discretionary and Information Technology have dominated over the last 3 and 5 years and have beaten the broad market index over 10 years.
- The Energy sector started the decade with strong performance, but has underperformed the broad market over the last 6 years which led to its bottom annualized performance over the past 3 and 5 years.
- Healthcare has been a steady winner and beaten the broad market index every year, with the exception of 2006 & 2010.
- Utilities had consistently positive performance in the years leading up to and into 2008, but has been volatile since then, having been a top performer in 2011 & 2014, but a laggard in the other years.
- Financials narrowly outperformed the broad market index in 2013, its only winning year since the great financial crisis bludgeoned the sector in 2007 & 2008.
- Consumer Staples has outperformed the S&P 500 Index during its low/negative return years, leading to the sector’s strong relative 10 year showing.
- The defensive Telecom Services and Utilities sectors have underperformed the broad market over the 3, 5 and 10 year periods.
Ziegler CapitalManagement, LLC is headquartered in Chicago, IL with additional offices in New York, NY, San Francisco, CA, St. Louis, MO, and Milwaukee, WI. The firm manages portfolios across the fixed income and equity spectrum to a wide range of clients including corporations, mutual fund sub-advisory, municipalities, pension plans, foundations, endowments, senior living and healthcare organizations and high net worth individuals. Ziegler Capital Management was formed in 1991 and has grown significantly in recent years through strategic business combinations with experienced investment teams nationwide. Through these combinations, we have expanded our investment strategy offerings and broadened our portfolio management teams to best serve our expanding client base.